Saturday, September 15, 2018

Adventure #22 - A HOT XFinity Race!

The dogs weren't the only ones panting!

Yes, the track did a great job of providing many ways to stay cool.

Even this beautiful girl was taking advantage of it while waiting for a cart to the infield. 


Like Phoenix, they have an excellent system for getting handicap people to the infield!


Once at the neon garage, I had to wait for hubby.

As always, I was engaged in conversation and didn't notice that the cart my hubby was supposed to be in had arrived, and new people climbed on and left. I rolled up to the gate and asked the attendant if a red scooter came through. She said yes, so off I went to catch up with him. When we parted at the tent, in case we got separated, we arranged to meet up at the Black Jack Club. When I got to the elevator, and up to the second level of the Neon Garage, I should have been able to see him, but I didn't. I tried calling but only got his voicemail. After a few minutes of a panic/anxiety attack, I told myself I needed to pull it together. I decided to head back down to the gate, in case he was on a different cart and was there waiting for me. As I'm waiting to cross the approach road to the track, off to the right I see him strolling along. He had somehow gotten onto the approach and was riding up the side of the road with race cars passing him.


It was so loud, we couldn't hear each other talk.

Finally, in the elevator, he explained what had happened.

His scooter wouldn't fit in the cart, so he drove in himself. He followed the walking path painted on the ground. Someone must have opened a gate or something, and when the path separated, he went the way toward the garages, not toward the load zone and gate entrance for spectators that was set up ahead. No one stopped him, not even the gate guy who would blow a whistle when it was safe to cross.


We strolled around the garages while the drivers were out practicing. Some would come in for changes to the set-up, and back out they went. Once we made the complete trip around, we headed to the Black Jack Club to watch the last of the practice, then driver introductions and the start of the race.


Arriving on the second floor of the tower suites, there weren't many people in this huge suite. Maybe 10-12 tables encircled the room, and a few standing tables were up close by the window. Unfortunately, the attendant didn't stop a large group of guest that had taken chairs from the tables, lining them up across the front of the rooms big wall of floor to ceiling windows that overlooked the track. This blocked the view for so many others sitting at the tables. After the ballpark type Buffett that was set-up, we watched the race for a while and noticed our friends weren't in their seats. Knowing how hot it was, and checking in with them, they were already back at the RV. 


With that, we decided to head back to the RV.


We also decided to ride out ourselves instead of me doing the cart alone.
It was pretty cool too!
As we approached the tunnel, the cars raced over it!


Back in an already cooled off RV felt great!
An ice cold MGD tasted great.
We began preparing dinner at the conclusion of the race.


It was a beautiful evening with cooler temps and no wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment